Monday, March 26, 2007

Presto is Gold (Part 40)

In tough games you can't always be folding to pressure.

Here is another "monster or air" scenario on an XXY flop:

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Fuel55 calls $6 from UTG with [5c 5d]
MP Donkey calls $6
MP Tough Player calls $6
Button raises $30 to $36
Fuel55 calls $30
(stacks are huge so I am set mining for sure)
MP Donkey calls $30
MP Tough Player calls $30

*** FLOP *** [2c 8c 8h]
Fuel55 checks
(obviously I need to check my monster)
MP Donkey checks
MP Tough Player checks
Button checks

It seems unlikely that anyone has an 8 since there are two clubs on board and they would protect.

*** TURN *** [2c 8c 8h] [4h]
Fuel55 bets $6
(weak lead to see who is where)
MP Donkey calls $6
(he has nothing)
MP Tough Player raises $30 to $36
(monster or air? - smells like a flush draw)
Button folds
Fuel55 calls $30
(not willing to give up this hand yet)
MP Donkey folds

*** RIVER *** [2c 8c 8h 4h] [Qd]
Fuel55 checks
MP Tough Player bets $48
(such a tiny bet … busted flush draw?)
Fuel55 calls $48
(crying call but I think my hand is good given my history with this guy)

*** SHOW DOWN ***
MP Tough Player shows [Js Ks] (a pair of Eights)
(air …)
Fuel55 shows [5c 5d] (two pair, Eights and Fives)
Fuel55 collected $324 from pot


I really thought this guy was on AcXc where X is likely 4 but I was completely wrong. Still the read and analysis were pretty good and I won a nice pot with Presto.

If the turn was a 6 or higher and the same thing went down I would have folded in all likelihood.

No comments: